Thursday, July 18, 2013

65. Dodhi Methamba (Bottle Gourd Sweet Pickle)

Final Outcome: A tasty side dish to go with roti.

        I joined a ladies club recently. We meet once a month and each time there is a different theme. For my first visit last month each member was asked to recite a recipe using bottle gourd. I promptly rang my mom since I remembered she had mentioned this recipe sometime ago. I shared my recipe at the club and tried it a few days later. After tasting it I was glad I shared it. Here it is:

Recipe:
Ingredients:
Bottle Gourd: 1/2 , Peeled and grated
Sugar: 3/4th measure of shredded bottle gourd
Oil: 1tbsp
Carom Seeds/ Oova: a pinch
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing: very little (less than a pinch)
Jeera/ Cumin: 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder: a pinch
Garam masala: a pinch
Fennel seeds: 1/2 tsp
Salt: a pinch

Method:
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Once the seeds begin to splutter add hing and Grated bottle gourd. Cook while stirring occasionally. 
2. After bottle gourd is almost done add sugar. Mix well and cook. Bottle gourd should cook in sugar syrup.
3. Add salt, Carom seeds/Oova, fennel seeds, red Chili powder, and mix well. Let it cook for a few more mins (about 3-4 mins).
4. Add Garam Masala and mix well. Take off heat in a min.

Note: This can be stored refrigerated for 2-3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments...